June 9, 2018 – The US military’s Africa Command on Friday dismissed allegations that a Somali-led raid conducted with US assistance had resulted in the deaths of civilians.
US forces, in an advise-and-assist capacity, partnered with Somali forces in a raid targeting Islamic Al-Qaeda militants aligned with the Shabaab group on May 9.
Ali Mohamed Moalin, a traditional elder who lives close to Afgoye in Lower Shabelle where the raid took place, said five “innocent farmers” were killed.
AFRICOM said it had conducted a thorough review of the case.
We “determined the allegations of civilian casualties to be not credible,” officials said in a statement.
“As with any allegation of civilian casualties, US Africa Command reviewed all available relevant information concerning the incident.”
The US has ramped up military efforts against Alshabaab under the Trump administration. Earlier this year the Guardian revealed that dozens of civilians had been killed and wounded in Somalia as airstrikes executed by US against Islamists had increased to unprecedented levels.