Al Jazeera on Sunday suspended two journalists over a video that accused Jewish people of exploiting the Holocaust — and Israel of being the genocide’s “greatest beneficiary.”
The viral clip, posted Friday by the broadcaster’s online AJ+ Arabic service, said that the Holocaust occurred, but “it’s different from how Jews tell it,” according to Agence France-Presse.
It claimed “the narrative” that the Nazis murdered 6 million Jews during World War II was “adopted by the Zionist movement.”
The video showed images of Holocaust victims with the narrator asking: “Why is there a focus only on them?”
It suggested the Jewish community’s access to “financial resources” and “media institutions” was able to “put a special spotlight” on the suffering of Jews.
Before being scrubbed from AJ pages on Saturday, the post had garnered 1.1. million views on Facebook and Twitter, Haaretz reported.
In a statement on Sunday, the Qatar-based network said the clip violated editorial standard and had been produced without due oversight.
Yaser Bishr, executive director of Al Jazeera’s digital division, said the network “completely disowns the offensive content in question” and doesn’t tolerate its content.
In an email to staff, he also announced a mandatory bias and sensitivity program.
similar posts from my site